2018 -2021: Instructor, Criminology, Sociology of Law, Race & Ethnicity, Sociology of Immigration
2017: Instructor, Social Problems
2016: Instructor, Voices in Public Policy: Syllabus for Latinxs in Politics, Spanish language conversational course
2015: Instructor, Voices in Public Policy, Spanish language conversational course developed for Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum Initiative
2015: Teaching Assistant for Dr. Hannah Gill’s (UNC-Chapel Hill) spring course Latin American Migrant Perspectives: Ethnography and Action
2014-2015: Teaching Assistant for Dr. Mary Hovsepian’s course Nations, Regions, and the Global Economy
Additional syllabi available upon request for courses on Crimmigration, Citizenship in the United States, Criminology, and Law & Society.
Every fall, I ask students in my Sociology of Law class to dive into local public safety budgets and the local government bodies that control them. They must include the following:
1) Sheriff salary (2018 or 2019): NC County Salaries Database (information from the UNC School of Government)
2) Total county budget (2018 or 2019): County Website
3) General Public Safety/Sheriff budget (2018 or 2019): County website or Sheriff website
4) Jail Deaths and cause (2010-present)
5) Anything else that seems interesting
If you are interested in learning more, feel free to reach out for more information. Basic information is included below for 27 of the 100 counties in NC. In 2018, there were 44 jail deaths in NC–jails that are controlled by Sheriffs.